The applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a US citizen.
- Applicant must be a high school senior with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Applicant must be accepted by an accredited college or university on a full time basis by the time the award payment is made.
- Applicant must be entering as a college freshman/sophomore in the Fall of their high school graduating year.
- Applicant must submit a transcript of his/her Grade Point Average (GPA).
- A letter of recommendation from one of your faculty members must accompany the application.
- A 500-word double-spaced essay on a Caribbean island, culture, anything Caribbean or Caribbean personality of your choice.
Selections will be made by a committee comprised of up to five active members, including the President and / or Vice President. Individuals selected for this committee must not be related to, or have special alliance to any of the applicants.
The committee will consider the following:
- Applicant’s college or high school grade point average (GPA). A GPA of 3.0 or higher is required.
- Faculty member or guidance counselor’s recommendation
- Essay submitted
- Qualifications of the individual(s)
The availability of funds and the number of applications received by the Scholarship Committee will determine the number of awards given annually.
Scholarship winners will be notified by phone by the second Saturday of June. Winners will be invited to attend our Awards Banquet in July, where they will be formally recognized. Scholarship money will be submitted directly to the college/university that the student attends (please ensure all information on the scholarship application is completed and correct). If for some reason the recipient of the scholarship is unable to attend school or becomes ineligible after application submission (i.e. decides not to attend college, etc.), the recipient must immediately notify West Indies United. The money will then be awarded to the next eligible applicant. Scholarships will be given out by October of said year.
NOTE: In order to receive the scholarship, we will need the address of your school’s financial aid office and your student ID number.
The scholarship money is always sent to the school. The school will send a check to you after the last day to add / drop classes. All debts must be cleared by the school prior to them sending out funds that are above the amount needed.
Please include a half page BIO and a high-res photo (at least 500×500 pixels) in graduation gown or dress attire.
Submit the application as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com or mail your application to the address below.
West Indies United
P.O Box 64585
Virginia Beach, VA 23467
The deadline for scholarship applications is April 30, 2018.